Modern Infantry Into 19th Century Colonial.

There is very little reason for me to do these conversions other than the satisfaction of using ultra cheap and common plastic toy soldiers. I already have plenty of colonial toy soldiers in pith helmets waiting to be painted, including old hollowcast, AIP and Expeditionary Force.

However, having been inspired by the Man of Tin blog with the painting of 'pound store' modern troops in red coats and pith helmets I am doing a few of the same.

The figure with the rifle across his waist is a copy of  Airfix British Infantry with the magazine removed and weapon trimmed down. The helmet was reshaped with knife and putty. The figure with rifle overhead is a Vietnam era figure, a coppy of Timme, I think, with weapon trimmed so it is no longer an assault rifle. The helmet is also reshaped and ammunition pouches added.

Another option is to leave weapons unaltered and use them for some kind of SF scenario or alternative history (although in any battlefield scenario with automatic weaponry bright coloured uniforms aren't really going to make much sense unless they are guard units, guarding palaces and whatnot or in situations where no concealment is possible, such as on spaceships when you might not want to be using too much heavy weaponry anyway).


                   

                               BELOW: Here they are painted in traditional toy soldier finish, yet to be based. The second photo shows them with a Call to Arms figure who is part of a unit of 20 or so. I was going through a gloss toy soldier stage at the time I painted him so I have done the modern recruits the same way. Notice the similarity of pose with the overhead positions. it will give me some minor variation in the unit and conversation pieces for those who notice the 'discrepancies' in poses.

                  I think I met the challenge of making something out of cheapo WW2.


                         I just noticed, the gloss varnish I still wet, hence some 'milky' looking bits.

Comments

  1. James
    I look forward to seeing these painted, interesting conversion of the Bren Gun to rifle. Clever!
    I think the red / blue colourful uniforms can work well as VSF Steampunk. Radios / minedetectors / Bazookas? Paint them brass. Flamethrowers? Just give them time, if Queen Victoria had kept on going ... I'm sure that sci-fi pioneer H.G.Wells would approve.
    Mark Man of TIN blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. I love your stuff! I shoud have these painted in a few days. I forgot to mention the trimmed down cocktail stick scabbards added with superglue.

    One thing I've been meaning to clarify with you is what putty you generally use. I use Green Stuff of various brands, which is fairly easy to work with. However, if large areas of putty are needed it defeats the purpose of converting cheap figures as the putty is not cheap. I have used tissue soaked in PVA as have you. You mentioned another putty; would you tell us about it economy and durability?

    ReplyDelete
  3. James
    At the moment the nearest I use to putty is polymer clay available in different colours (sold as Fimo in U.K. or similar Sculpey elsewhere) that has to be moulded and separately baked then glued on - otherwise it is all just scalpel, PVA and tissue paper - oh and pins and cocktail sticks like you.

    I think your Colonial Redcoat troops have come out well.
    Mark, Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having to bake and glue the Sculpey might be steps that put me off using it unless i was making a big item like a statue or something. Do you find the tissue paper stands up to wear and tear. I used to use it on Airfix Ho conversions, notable havelocks for my ACW.I think i coated it with liquid cement. It would work for blanket rolls and that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely inspirational. Tin Man sent me over and I`m so glad I came and looked. This is e-x-a-c-t-l-y the sort of thing I am wanting to do with my old plastic. Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts