ACOTS 2019

This year's ACOTS was the 32nd and was hosted by Nigel at Bacchus Marsh.

The Friday was the usual swap meet but this time held at a hall. The surroundings were roomy and comfortable and a great many deals went down. Bob has to be admired for having NINE tables and the trailer load of figures and accessories he brought all the way from Adelaide.

Two others worthy of note for a special effort were Brenton and Gary. Brenton had had a mild heart attack just over a week ago and had a pace maker inserted but he still travelled with his wife, Deb, by car from Adelaide. Gary was in very ill health and his sugar levels dropped so badly he had to be rushed to hospital after the swap meet. Although he attended the swap day he missed the Saturday wargame but still managed to return to attend the Saturday night dinner.

Also of note is the distance people travelled including from NSW, Adelaide, Queensland and Western Australia.


                            The Friday swap meet. It was a good one, as it is every Easter.


                                             

                             Some of my swaps. I still have much of this available for sale.

                                   Bryan's stuff first couple of pics and then other people's stalls.







                                                                 Barbeque night

                                                               Nigel's wargame room
                                                             Small scale wargame
                                                          Nigel's cabinets with figures






                                                                 The Saturday games.




                                                                    My haul:

                               Below. This was one of my cheaper and bargain purchases. All these figures were in Bob's cheap box which I bought for ten dollars. Most of them are physically damaged or partially repainted and quite a few of them I already have but they add to my conversion boxes.
                                   Old Hong King and others. The light brown copy of Herald modern infantry has 'Empire made' on its base. Does anything about this origin?
                     Anyone who looks at the Man of Tin blog would have seen a lot of restoration projects with these types of damaged hollowcast, something I'll do eventually although I will add my own original touches.
                                  I think my favourites among these plastics are the Crescent as they are very well sculpted and have  nice proportion and well defined faces.
                     I needed some of these 60mm West Pointers to finish a regiment but I'm still short a few.
 Britains Eyes Right horses and some dwarfs, The latter will go into my 1/32 scale dwarf regiment.
                                         Jecsan Egyptians. I was hesitant to buy them due to their immense size of around 65mm but they are such nice figures that I got them.
                          Italeri Saracens will join my Medieval/Renaissance Fezian army.

                                       Mounted hollowcast, not bad at two dollars each, although one is missing an arm.
                             More orcs that will be painted very soon for my next wargame.
                             Marx American sailors to be fed into a small unit I have already painted.
             This was my most expensive purchase - nine Polish Winged Hussars for $110 but still a good buy. I have long wanted a unit of these and they will go either into my Bogavanian or my Beerstein army.

                          A home casting, probably a copy of Britains hollowcast WW2
The Saturday 54mm scale French and Indian game involved the usual massive games on a number of gaming tables with teams of two playing two games each. Steve gained the wargaming Chief trophy.

Dave Palmersaurus, Paul Nigel and Steve provided troops and organisation for the game along with Jamie and others.

Alan Copsey demonstrated his usual eloquence in summing up the glorious ACOTS history.

Next years convention will be in Adelaide.



Comments

  1. Looks like a splendid event. Some good stuff on those bring and buy tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What excellent photos of an amazing event. What a collection of items on the B and B. Games look truly spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James. I think there is always something exciting in buying a job lot of 32mm soldiers, particularly if it includes OOP figures. I've had several successes on Ebay. I have about thirty Foot Guards presenting arms, they are the same as later Britains/Lone Star figures, but only 42mm high, instead of the usual 50-54mm. These smaller plastic figures are quite old, and marked with 'Empire' under their bases, I have always assumed this is just a variation on Made in Hong Kong, IMHO. I plan to replace their heads with some Pickelhaube helmets, which I will cast in pewter, and paint them up as Ruritanian soldiers.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks men. Yes, a great deal of effort was expended by organisers as usual. ACOTS also has a Facebook page with more photos of the event; Larry, especially (shown in one of my pics in red cap, took many photos and posted them there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts