I Want My Mummy!

 I finally found where I left a selection of my monster figures. I had especially put the mummies aside because I wanted to make a unit of the. I already have a few, from various sources, painted. The two figures below were from the monster tube set that came out not long ago. The one on the right has been converted.

The conversion was straight forward and involved cutting off the arms and repositioning them. I had been thinking of teaching myself how to repair old lead figures with a soldering iron but misplaced the solder. "Hold on", I thought, "why not weld plastic figures using the soldering iron". This proved more effective than using a craft knife heated over a flame and held, briefly, between the two pieces of plastic, clasped on to it before withdrawing. It also was quicker than my usual method of drilling a hole in both pieces and gluing a piece of metal rod in place and coating the areas with Araldite. It does depend on the figure which works best and with applying heat one does have to be careful not to get nasty burns or, worse, to ruin the figure; I have avoided both of these tragic outcomes.

The painting was very simple and involved using various GW washes over the bone coloured undercoat. Using three different colours at once created some pleasing blended results. I may decide to also do a little careful off white or even white dry brushing as well. The eye sockets and mouth were painted black and dabs of red will be applied to simulate the supernatural life existing inside those bandages.




I have not yet used mummies in wargames but some of the old GW Warhammer rules had options for mummy units in Undead armies. As I recall they had some low level magic ability and were vulnerable to fire, as one would expect with all that resin.

I didn't like that these figures are running as I prefer the original old horror movies that had slow shambling, but very sinister, relentless and dangerous mummies striving to get revenge from being awakened from their slumber, or just to pursue an exceptionally pretty English or American girl who bears an uncanny resemblance to the mummy's (very late) wife. However it would not be easy to convert the legs to a slower pace so I left them as is.

Comments

Popular Posts