First Blusian Cuirassiers Bases Flocked

In the end I decided to flock the bases. I envisaged these figures as partially old style toy soldier and so far I have left the gloss coat without a semi gloss or mat over coat. I might give another gloss spray to further cement the flock. The gloss will also, hopefully mitigate against paint chipping.

The thing that decided me to go with the flock is the ugly chunky bases of the figures. the metal castings bases came out even more chunky than the plastic originals, The flock helps to disguise the transition from the triangular bases to the card bases. Half the figures also are two to a base which aids in the stability of the figures when moved around a wargame field. The heavy metal figures were liable to topple, and the heavier they are the harder they fall.

One oversight is the absence of a bugler but I have painted one horse grey so this will eventually be the bugler figure but with a bugle glued to him rather than one being played. I just have to find a good bugle or trumpet for the purpose but I' unsure if I have one in my spares box and I am loathe to rob one of my Timpo 7th cavalry. I might, just possibly, have a HK copy I can take a bugle from or maybe a Historex spare.

Also shown is a dismounted horse holder made from a metal copy of a Crescent British Horse Guard.

The unit is, of course, based on French Cuirassiers of later 19th and early 20th century cuirassiers in which case the officer's epaulettes should be silver. As usual, when I look at close up photos I see spots that have escaped the paint brush and require fixing.

Anyhow, I'm fairly happy with the regiment and it will go into battle when my lawnmower is fixed.





Comments

Popular Posts