Speedwell African natives

These chunky natives were given by his mother to my childhood friend, Peter Smith. He received them mixed with cowboys and Indians and they were used in the Western games. They were harder to bowl over with marbles. When Peter 'outgrew' his collection I bought the lot. The explorer was a captive an a two piece base with captor. Peter used to cut the bases in half to make two figures, although the native lost an arm in the process! In this case I have repainted the explorer figure in original colours. There was also a walking hunter. As he was in white Peter used to paint a red cross on him to make him into a medic! There was also a snake in the set but I don't remember it from my childhood. It was only recently that I found out that the figures were from the small English company, Speedwell.

Comments

Popular Posts