Current Projects

As usual I can't stick to one project at a time. My restored or renovated hollow casts are almost finished while I pause to decide on basing. New projects include creating more 'Fezians' (Turks and Egyptians for late 1800s to early 1900s). The other is an expansion on my Mexican armies to include colour coded rurales. One unit has dark blue jackets and another brown ones. Yet another will be based on my ACW Hispanic Confederate cavalry, the 33rd Texas. I'll simply replace flag bearers and officers with bandoleero type figures with flags from the Virtual Armchair General.

I have also noted that some federal Mexicans wore pith helmets so I am going to employ some of my British colonials, replacing flag bearer with bandoleer covered flag bearer. My British WW cavalry and Lionians might also get conscripted.

The best choice of figures would have to include BMC Spaniards. They actually have the wrong equipment for the Spanish but perfect bandoleers for Mexicans, who couldn't get enough of them. The hats can be left as is or converted to sombreros or caps.
The other is any bandit type figures. Britains Detail or DSG are excellent and the plastic holds paint very well and is hard wearing.
Cowboys are also good, and not just as American or European mercenaries. Mexicans did not limit themselves to sombreros. They also wore smaller brimmed hats including cowboy hats.
BMC Spanish American war Americans and Custer set American cavalry are also useful.

ACW can also be easily converted to troops with brimmed hats or kepis, although at this time the Mexican kepi was a little higher. It can also be changed to a shakoe. I already have such troops for my Mexican Adventure games.

Armies in Plastic Boers can also be used. The only difference is the skin complexion and you can always say they are foreign volunteers.

In the Mexican revolution lancers were not used but in my battles they will as the war will be a fictional one for a few years earlier.
I am going to be heading off for an Australia Day wargame weekend at Leopold, by the beach, so won't be posting for a while. Dave Palmer will be organising a 54mm English Civil wargame in his holiday house backyard.. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post.

Comments

Popular Posts