Deluge Hits Toy Soldier Land

Yesterday a deluge of Biblical proportions broke though my games room ceiling. It soaked the carpet and entered an open display case. Today 1000 odd Confederates, Vikings and medieval figures are outside drying off. Worst hit were the ones with card and especially fibre board bases which expanded to frightening proportions. The figures are mostly fine and some even got a nice wash. One unhappy looking Confederate cavalryman was covered in white as PVA overcoat liquefied. Now he has dried out and is back to normal.

Forty History Today magazines (from 1954-1970) and various books are also outside drying out, the pages flipping merrily in the wind.

It remains for me to remove carpet, numerous boxes of figures and display cases to dry out the room.
Oh well, hopefully the room will look better at the end of it. And there are all those figures I'll dig up that I haven't seen for years.


Two days have passed: I have dried out he figures and cleaned out and dried three cabinets. Just now I have two cabinets back in place and have started putting figures back. There are four other (heavy) cabinets on the affected carpet I'll have to unpack of figures and move. (My back has already said enough, especially as it has a disc out of place). I'll also have to remove forty or so polystyrene and cardboard boxes of figures from under the wargame table. The table itself is made up of bits of table tennis table resting on another four smaller cabinets and set of drawers. As I cut off one section of carpet there is a drying piece of cement which I can move things to until i clear another piece. In the meantime the room stinks! Fortunately there is no plaster or wood flooring to worry about but the cabinets which were fibre board are a little the worse for wear.

I also bought eight sets of plastic drawers to make sure that the figures will be in their appropriate categories and to replace damaged cardboard boxes. I am going to store some of my ACW and medieval units in them to make room for new displays.

Comments

Popular Posts