Updates

The war between Crussia and Fez in Mogostan is expected to begin in a week's time. The Empire Great Swords in 54mm are also nearing completion. Below can be seen the officer and flag bearer in front  a Fisher and Price building. Also shown is a converted Britains knight.




                                             Below: Conversions from Hing Fat pirates. 

 The recent Fezian conversions are also being painted; some of them are designed to replace officer and flag bearers in my ACW zouave units. Their colour scheme of red pants and dark blue jackets do not correspond to any Turkish uniform but as they are Fezians they can be any colour I like! And it saves me time in creating completely new units! The Turkish uniforms of the 1870s were zouave in style but with fezs instead of soft caps and kepis; they were generally blue. My Fezian army borrows from Turkish and Egyptian uniforms from this time to the early 1900s.
The flags have come from various sources. I found an old children's encyclopedia with colour plates of old flags. I photocopied them twice and made two sides to the flags to photocopy again, some which became combinations of different flags. The Fezian and Mogostani flags were made from Medieval Muslim state flags combined in various combinations. Others were fictitious Funny Little Wars flags from The Virtual Armchair General. Some are just Turkish flags.

I cut away rifles from suitably posed figures, drill out the hands and add a brass or steel flag pole. The paper flag is then glued on. I superglue the staff and PVA the rest. It is not a good idea to just use Super Glue as it will make a mess of the flag and your fingers. I also sometimes use aluminium can. I cut the can pieces to the size of the flag (one side with a little left over for folding over and supergluing to the staff). Then I fold the paper flag over the aluminium and glue with PVA. This provides a stronger flag. Of course, you can also bend it to make a less stiff looking flag. The aluminium is easy to cut with scissors. Trim off any metal or paper edges that protrude.

My daughter also begged me to buy for her a Games Workshop Lylth. She is a character in the Dark Eldar armies. Alexi had already spied my own one and wanted one for herself. For a 28mm metal figure $25 seems rather steep but I bought it and have nearly finished painting her. Apparently future Lylths will all be in resin.

Comments

Popular Posts