Projects and events

Recently I joined Dave Palmer at his holiday house for some wargames with some of the ACOTS crew.

 The Napoleonic game featured thousands of 20 mm figures in a Russian versus French stoush. It was a difficult slog for both sides but the Russians eventually conceded as the French were able to bring their superior reserves into play.

The naval games involved the French versus British Napoleonic period. In one game I learnt the perils of going off on my own little expedition with a sloop and being shot to pieces by three ships. My consolation was that I inflicted some damage before sinking and diverted the enemy while my own side concentrated fire on individual enemy ships. In another game I managed to almost destroy the enemy ship only to accidentally sail off the board and so to give victory to the other player.

Dave will be visiting Sale next weekend and another Fezia versus Redia battle will eventuate. The Fezians will be further strengthened by Herman units and more Crussians will be arriving to bolster the Redians.
I am also completing some seated figures for a tin plate Crussian staff car. My unit of Redian territorial grey coated rifles was given the finishing touches today but I will need to make an officer for them.

I shall also be creating a 'monster page' to feature some new additions and older creatures. I recently acquired from a Melbourne Swanston Street hobby shop some interesting snap together kits; one of these is a giant insect unlike any real insect you would see except on a 50s monster film - it even has tusks! The other is a Vampirella kit. My daughter and I both read the Vampirella comics so I bought the model for Alexi but I'll be the one assembling and painting the kit. For those who haven't heard of Vampirella she is a vampire variously described as coming from the planet Drakulon or as the daughter of Lylith. She saves her bites for the necks of the bad guys. Her red bat embossed outfit is in the the tradition of comic heroines as being impossibly skimpy and impractical but I'm not complaining.
I've slowed down in my projects as I have been unable to sit for two months, such have been  the results of my sciatica. Even laying for too long produces pain. Most things I have to do whilst standing or walking. I have been reading a few novels whilst walking to the swimming pool. One of these was 'Vagabond' by Bernard Cornwell, a story based on an English archer and his search for the Grail. The historical research makes it sound very realistic. The current book I'm reading is 'Sigvald' by Darius Hinks and if you like fantasy novels like Moorcock's Elric series you will like this. This is a Warhammer novel about Prince Sigvald who is a champion of the Slaneshi faction of Chaos. He is an interesting character, decadent and depraved but strong, a mixture of sensitive and insensitive, he goes to war against the followers of the blood god Khorne. Events are seen through the eyes of an Empire knight who seeks Sigvald's aide but falls for his kinky wife! Battles between northern barbarians also feature.

I'll be posting pics when I locate my camera.

Comments

Popular Posts