Weird and Wonderful Cheapo conversions

I am waiting for my AIP Japanese, Spanish and 1812 figures to arrive but have plenty to keep me occupied, when my leg and back allow me. Plenty of old projects are still on the boil and yet more new ones.

I decided to look at some of most cheap figures and to turn them into something off beat. Some time ago I bought the Osprey book on the Chaco War between Paraguay and Bolivia. Some jungle explorer figures reminded me of the Paraguayans. The particular figures came with various native warriors, including female ones. They are a head smaller than 54mm, more like 1/35 than 1/32.
I added blanket rolls and trimmed off some equipment and carved the boots into bare feet. An 'officer's' trousers I carved into high boots and cut his floppy hat into a peaked one with putty top.
The figures are undercoated now and will be painted in olive green uniforms with grey blankets and reddish brown equipment.

The other little project involved more cheapo Chinese figures, this time bright yellow and ref road workers. Some of them were using jack hammer type tools or riveters held horizontally as if firing some spacey guns. So now they are going to be retro SF troopers! The worker with the megaphone now has a Games Workshop pistol and power saw. GW is a smaller scale again but the weapons are quite big and will pass at lager scales.

The other project is a single figure, a made in China copy of a Britains Swoppet cowboy falling, dead or wounded. He is going to be a British bearskin hatted guardsman painted in traditional style to go with my old hollowcast Britains!

I think you can see a trend here; nothing escapes use in my toy soldier land, be it old hollowcast, old plastics, Games Workshop, new plastics, children's toys and absolute 'junk figures'. And of course ANY period of history or fantasy/SF.

Photos will be uploaded in the next few days.

Comments

Popular Posts