What's New?

You may have noticed a reduction in my posts. I am hoping to remedy this by the end of next week My back injury has slowed me down but I'm still managing to do some painting whilst standing, as I can't sit. I'm going to try painting figures whilst laying and me feet up on a stool. The other factor is my change of computer; I returned my work computer as I am still on sick leave and won't be going back to work. The new computer doesn't seem to like using Picasa, the sole way I have of uploading photos to my blog, but the store technician ( a former student of mine from 15 years ago) will look at it on Thursday.
Despite all this I have been chipping away at my projects which are the following: 1/ Renovating old hollow cast Britains and others by stripping paint in Methylated spirits, adding home cast heads and arms and wire and putty horses' legs. I generally repaint these in the original style but with a little more detail such as painted reins etc. Units I have worked on have included Hilco British/Redian yeoman rifles in grey and Britains household cavalry. The rifle unit needed an officer, which I made from a plastic Britains Detail ACW officer.
2/ Creating Chaos Slaneshi purple-grey skinned unit in 54mm. This is a fun unit made from a variety of cheap plastic fantasy figures that many would not even look at but I'm happy with the results.
3/ Painting just about any period from which I have undercoated figures lying about.
4/ Adding individual touches to my Dark Eldar Raiders. This includes dragon headed shock prows, one which was the head off a 50cent toy dragon and the other as pare head from an $80 dollar Dar Elf dragon.
5/ Yes, yet another new army has begun, the Dar Elves in 28mm. I have begun with sorceress riding a dragon. One thing I like about the Dark Elves is that I can swap parts over with the Dark Eldar as the latter are basically space elves. One of my Ravagers will now have a captain whose torso comes from the spare sorceress one in the dragon kit. (For those unfamiliar with Warhammer and Warhammer 40K Raiders and Ravagers are skimmers, the latter being a heavy support vehicle. They have some resemblance to the Martian craft in Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars novels).
6/ Back to 54mm I have just ordered some new armies from Armies in Plastic. The company has just released Japanese infantry from around 1900. I have long been awaiting these to do battle with my Russians/Crussians and anyone else who gets in the way. Some of them will also be converted into Mexicans and Balkan types. AIP has also brought out Spanish from the Spanish American War. BMC already does them but their bandoleers are inaccurate for regular Spanish infantry ( although fine for Cuban rebels or Mexicans). The AIP figures have the usual firing, shooting and advancing poses, almost identical to other sets. The officer pose is a little different but that annoying clubbing pose is there again. Why club when you have a bayonet? That's not to say it didn't happen but I just don't want a whole rank of them. I also have ordered some War of 1812 figures and I have decided that they could double as Spanish or Belgians that also had that high front to the shako. I have ordered enough figures to paint a couple of spare regiments to sell.
7/ ACOTS is fast approaching. It is with some trepidation that I think of travelling to the other side of Melbourne ( St Leonard again). I'll be travelling by train and bus as driving is too painful . I'll be posting my usual report on my blog after Easter.
8/ You might recall my giant horror movie insect well I'm also working on a Vampirella figure from the same series.
9/ A few weeks back Dave Palmer visited and we continued the Fezian campaign. Mat was too sunburnt to attend so I was the Redians - who were trounced again; the terrain favoured the Fezians and the Redians faced a very Gallipoli like experience.
10/ The local Games Work Shop is hosting a 40K campaign and my evil Dark Eldar are busy raiding and pillaging. The Sisters of Battle showed their metal, literally with their damned walker thingies that even managed to kill the heroine Lylith. Leaving one of my raiders at home did not help. Next week a grudge match will occur.

Hopefully by next weekend I'll have a big batch of photos uploaded.

Comments

  1. My sympathy re your health.
    Loads if interesting things on the go.I look forward to hearing more...
    best wishes
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts