Mick and Hoppa, a Cartoon

At some time in the 1980s I was driving on a Gippsland road when my car hit a kangaroo, I braked suddenly and my van rolled on to its side and the front windscreen popped out, There was a loud hissing from the car radiator and my then girlfriend, Leanne, leaped out of the car, removed her cowgirl high heeled boots and ran down the road as she thought the car was going to blow up. Never mind that I was still in there, still holding on to the steering wheel! We survived but the roo didn't as we got a local farmer to shoot it as it had a broken leg. I think I may have taken it home and butchered it for a couple of months supply of food for my cats or that could have been another roo I found recently killed on the road.

Anyway my vivid imagination took hold an, in my head and the roo survived to become a travelling companion. Over time I evolved into Mick, who, unlike me, has never aged. He and the roo became more Disney like, but with a very politically incorrect bent. And, like The Three Stooges, they bumbled around, offending everyone and creating chaos. They actually were both expressions of myself, the kangaroo being the sensitive one and Mick being the callous, insensitive cynic.

My travels overseas, notably in Samoa and the US provided a lot of inspiration for my buddies as my sketch pad went with me. Currently Mick and Hoppa is appearing in the local Gippslander newspaper. It is good I have a huge number of cartoons to use as I can't sit at a desk for more than a few minutes, due to my back issues. I can colorize them, easily enough on the computer, whilst lying on my back. This particular cartoon is one of my favourites and was already done as a water colour. Mick and Hoppa are 'ambassadors for their country' and, in this case make it to the moon in their converted FJ Holden. (They usually travel - on Earth- by bicycle). They are, of course, idiotically oblivious to the 'international incident' they are causing or the strains they may put on the American alliance!

At some point I am going to start a blog devoted to my cartoons. Feel free to pass on any comments.

 
I'm also selling tee-shirts with this design at Zazzle online. Others will follow once I work out all the details.
 

Comments

Popular Posts