Winston Churchwood on Contessa Alexi

My recent extraordinary visit to the Balkan province of Transylvania was rewarded with an interview with Countess Alexi. The Count himself was indisposed, in fact seldom emerging from his room in his castle and appearing to leave the running of things to his vibrant wife.

I say vibrant because, despite her exceedingly pallid complexion the Countess's skin is flawless, her long black hair shines and her yellow-green eyes almost hypnotise with their intensity. Her age appears to be in her mid twenties but that can't be right as records mention her some forty years ago. Her English is good but her accent is strong. Her voice flutters like an excited bird or child one moment and hums in a soft monotone the next. Her choice of clothes varies between the semi-diaphanous black or red or white silk flowing dresses or her own tailored hussar uniform. Some men might say she was fetching, which might be true, but she also expresses a hint of danger or warning that she is not to be trifled with.


Yet, the Countess Alexi, apparently, has a wild sense of humour. On our third interview, in her castle she arrived late. (Strangely, she prefers her interviews very late at night). The Count was again absent and I entered the open castle and waited in the drawing room, The Countess appeared at 12am from out of the shadows. I heard her gay, tinkling laughter first and then she appeared, clad in her black flowing dress, her ample bosoms scarcely concealed by the material. I was feeling a little nervous at this impropriety but my other observation added to my confusion. Red liquid dribbled from the corners of her mouth. Blood! This extraordinary woman then laughed again and explained that it was red wine and would I like some?

It was with some trepidation that I conducted the interview. I was assured that rumours of vampirism in her family were the product of peasant superstitions, that Translyvania had always resisted enemy aggression and that her family would continue to play its part in that.

The Countess complimented me on my knowledge of the world and the cut of my suit, She even said that she found my freckles and red hair charming. Where was the Count? I wondered and thought it must be time to bid goodnight.

Comments

Popular Posts