A Day at the Museum

I spent last Monday walking around Melbourne and its museum.

As I suspected, the wonderful military displays of armour and weapons that had so fascinated me as a child was still in storage, as it has been for many years. When I asked about this I was told that the museum did not 'want to give the wrong message' by having a display of weapons.
Well people have been giving 'the wrong message' for centuries; the Viking sack of Lindisfarne or the slaughter of Gettysburg and the Somme come to mind but we don't expunge these memories from our records or do we?
What I know is that displays lie I once saw and playing with toy soldiers led e to become a history teacher who could describe what people wore and what they fought with as well as why they fought.
I asked the young museum lady where I could register my indignation and did so, for all the good it would do, on their on line site.
Having said all that, I was directed to the 'Marvelous Melbourne' section which did include some weapons and a few lead toys.
                                                         The one on the right is the chimp.

The skeleton above is of a mammal-like reptile which preceded the dinosaurs.



                      Tasmainian wolf, actually an extinct marsupial wiped out in the 1930s.

A collection of toys from yesteryear, including lead animals and a toy pistol with the word 'Aussie' on it.



                                      Collection of antique weapons including blunderbuss

                                                       Phar Lap

A triangular shaped bed from the poorer household in the 19th century Melbourne. The design may have encouraged breeding.
                                                  A bombing game fro the era of WW2.

                                                            Neanderthal

                                                 Scottish Victoria regiment late 19th century/early 20th c
                                       Yours truly sitting on the cresent moon from Luna Park, now in the museum. My mother had her photo taken on this in the 1960s.
                                                               The family tree
Now, that's a snail I would not want in my vegie patch! (No it's not a real snail!)
                                                          1840s woman's dress in Victoria
                                                                 Gold Rush diorama

                              Lancaster and Martini-Henry and engineer's uniform Victoria around 1900

Comments

Popular Posts