DIckhead Biker Destroys English Language with his Dopey Tattoo.

It's true I might have done my own bit to mangle English and I'm guilty of the odd 'typo' too. Yet, if you were to tattoo something over your face wouldn't you try to get the punctuation right?

Every now and then something steams me up enough to comment on a non-toy soldier related topic. Today I read in the Herald Sun about two Hells Angels associates being let off a brawl charge for insufficient evidence. They had also been questioned about a killing of a rival gang member. Both of the young men had tattoos proudly festooning their faces.

Now I remember as a young man having a girlfriend who had some prominent and slightly outrageous tattoos. I found this somewhat exciting at the time but at least she did not have pithy sayings tattooed across her face.

Once upon a time tattoos were the resort of sailors, convicts and harlots. In more recent times celebrities have popularised tattoos as somehow 'cool'. Obviously some are more pleasingly decorative than others. For example, the broken line across a wrist proclaiming 'cut on the broken line' is probably one of the less desirable. From a distance, however, they all look like unpleasant discolourings of the skin usually associated with bruising. In addition, the majority of tattoos tend to scream 'lower-socio-economic group' or worse. They also tend to sag obscenely as people age.

My real issue, though, is with this particular 'gentleman's' tattoo, 'God forgives. I dont'. Apostrophe sir! I guess nobody had been brave enough to tell the young lout and presumably the tattooist shared his deficiency of literacy. The tattoo is scrawled above and under one eye and is obviously designed to intimidate rather than to proclaim the man's religious convictions - I mean otherwise every second priest and minister would have some Biblical phrase or thought tattooed on his face.

Well, if you meet the fellow it is probably better to suppress your laughter, even, if like me, you cannot forgive the absence of an apostrophe.

Comments

Popular Posts