ACOTS 2014

Well, it is the usual story - the laptop had to go bye bye and I was waiting three weeks for a replacement. When I got home from ACOTS I was still waiting for the replacement for the sick one and then I couldn't access my Google Account. To top it off the keyboard on the new Toshiba was malfunctioning as well but it seems to have partially fixed itself now. Unfortunately I just don't do mobile phone stuff with internet connection 'cause it costs too much and I have enough trouble working out the cell phone basic functions! Anyway I'm back and you will be seeing a lot of stuff over the next days.

The Easter convention was in Adelaide and to get there I used my American Express card points to get a Qantas flight after driving to Melbourne, itself a two and a half our trip. there was a one hour bus trip to the airport the next day and then the hour plane trip. I watched the film The Book Thief on the trip, quite an evocative story set in Nazi Germany but the narration by Death was a little cheesy.

The first day in Adelaide was spent on Glenelg beach followed by a visit to my favorite shop, Military Hobbies. Andrew owns it and he is a member of ACOTS. Gordon, who works there helped me work out the buses to get to Steve Wardle's house. Military Hobbies {400 Port Road Hindmarsh -0883461312 - hope you like the plug, Andrew} is a wonderful mixture of new and second hand toy soldiers, as well as Games Workshop and others and I bought my fill.

Steve's collection I have featured before but I never cease enjoying looking at his train and toy soldier set ups. His wife Sue always adds to the experience with her superb cooking! After staying the night with Steve and Sue that Thursday I went to Bob Bolton's house to set up m swaps table. I didn't bring a lot this time as I was travelling light with backpack but I did sell or swap two of my spare HG Wells playing with toy soldiers. On the other hand I spent $300 buying from other stalls. There was a huge variety of figures.

Friday night I stayed with Brian Wagstaff and his daughter demonstrated her skills cooking Asian, coconut flavored fish. I took the liberty of photographing some of Brian's collection. Brian has a nice mixture of  vehicles, old plastic and metal figures and does his share of converting and painting.

On Saturday we went for a swim at the local beach and then we went back to Bob's house for the first day of wargaming. A sunny Autumn day was just right for the battles, a number which were played on outside tables. This time it was the ever popular Carthage versus Rome. The Romans had their salt shakers out ready but it was not to be as Carthage won the majority of battles. About four games were played simultaneously with twelve players involved and it was good to see Tony West's fourteen year old step son enthusiastically participating.

The rules were simple but effective. Firstly, players got to choose their armies, the order of choice based on a card draw. I got last choice and ended up with a Carthaginian army composed of lights and mediums and although noone else wanted them the performed well against the better armored Romans. The figures were a mixture of Marx, Hat, Italeri and DSG. Players got points for how many points worth of damage they inflicted on the enemy, lights having the fewest points and cavalry a whopping ten points each as they were counted as the general's unit. It was therefore important not to waste the single cavalry unit and to use it supported by other units at the right moment if at all. The points for each game were tallied by umpires Dave Palmer and Bob and totaled for all the games, each game lasting about an hour. As it happened I got fourth place and Andrew McDougal and Steve Wardle were champions who battled it out at the end for final placing, which went to Steve.

On Sunday we had larger Napoleonic games with Russians versus French. I played the Russians and was virtually wiped out by superior French firing.

Saturday night we had our usual dinner out and the decision was made that I would be hosting next Easter's convention. Alan Copsey made his usual splendid speeches as we pondered that ACOTS has been running for 37 years.

I give a special thanks to all those who let me photograph their collections {and a pox on he who wouldn't! - only joking - sort of} Bob did a great job despite suffering from a back injury. Bob's wife, Angie made her usual excellent food preparation for the troops.
                                       Bob, Tony and Dave Palmer.
                                      Seagulls pounce on Timpo bits.
                                        Below: Brian Wagstaff's collection.











                                      FLW types


















                                     Disco dancing spacemen from Brian's collection



                                      Brian's new boat he aquired from the convention.





Below: The ancients game
 Below; Garry with the Romans. Never interrupt a man when he is making a mistake.



                                   




                                                   Relaxing on Bob's veranda
                                                  Below: The Napoleonic game








Tony and Brian at the dinner
                                     Below: The Napoleonic Game







                                    Below: Some selections from Steve Wardle's collection.











                                       Below: French allies for the Napoleonic game.


Yous truly caught in the act, photographing Brian's figures.








Comments

Popular Posts