Milestones For My Blog

My blog, Quantrill's Raiders, received 6519 page views for June 2014. That is the most page views for a month since I began in June 2008 with 209 views. Overall page views so far are 135,371.

The most popular post so far has been Grand Fenwick to the Rescue. I attribute this to the quaintness factor. Grand Fenwick in the novel and film, The Mouse that Roared was a polite, civilized, tiny European country with an army equipped mostly with Medieval armour and bows and arrows. Its concession to modernity was its own version of the red coated Grenadier Guards. Of course when it declared war on the USA in order to be defeated, taken over, and inundated with Yankee money things went astray when Grand Fenwick won!

My game had nothing to do with the plot of The Mouse that Roared and merely used the premise of Grand Fenwick's antiquated army to inject colour into an early 1900s wargame. I did bolster their Medieval and ceremonial army with a Gatling gun or two.

The posts in my blog have covered a number of areas: collecting 54mm and 60mm toy soldiers, nostalgia for childhood experiences of toy soldiers, ACOTS conventions, wargaming with 54mm figures in historical, SF and fantasy and 28 mm fantasy and SF, primarily Warhammer and Warhammer 40k.

The 54mm wargaming occurred in a very primitive form in my childhood, involving basic movement rules and various projectiles and rolled marbles. Wargaming with dice occurred briefly, in my teens, with 20mm Airfix 'proper' wargame figures for ACW.  The truth is my friend Peter and I never worked out the rules. However, I did buy all of Peter's supposedly outmoded 54mm toy soldiers.

The great change occurred when I was in my 20s and I met the founders of ACOTS and large scale 54mm wargaming. The next big wargaming  experience was discovering the Yahoo groups Little Wars and Paul Wright's Funny Little Wars and its rules based on HG Wells.

Warhammer 40k I was introduced to by my students and at first it was just dabbling to humour them but it became another major facet of my wargaming interest.

My blog reflects my diversity of interests. I expect, with blog content, I can never please all the people all of the time but I think I can find something to interest most people most of the time and some people all of the time!

Comments

Popular Posts