Reamsa Aztec Conversion

I finished painting this figure but then got bored with the arrow in the side. After cutting off the arrow I looked at the position of the hand and thought that was a good position for holding an arrow which has just pierced his eye.

As I drilled out a perfectly well painted eye with my twist drill I noticed nice little twists of plastic emerging from the eye socket. Well why not leave them there and they can serve as spurts of blood?
This won't appeal to everyone but it is an obvious fact of war that people get mutilated and they get killed. So this poor blighter is depicting having received an arrow in the eye probably from one of Cortez's Indian allies. or perhaps from a Spanish crossbowman. It was made from brass rod with putty feathers.
One reason why wounded toy soldiers don't appeal to wargamers is that they start that way even before the battle has begun. It does add some variety of poses though. I like this particular figure. It also lends itself to European Medieval conversions once the ear decorations are removed and shoes added from putty etc as the hair style looks like a certain medieval page boy style. On the other hand I already have hundreds of medieval and only about sixty Aztecs so far. A combination with the Aztec archer could give a kneeling archer.

My figure painting for the Aztecs involved a clear car spray undercoat designed to enhance paint adhesion, followed by Games Workshop Mournfang brown spray. The brown was left for wood objects. I then painted with Acrylics, mostly GW. The figure was then given a coat of water resistant PVA. You need to use a large old brush, being careful to not let it gather too much or it will not be entirely transparent and will look like someone spat on the figure as it will be bubbly and milkish. After this I spray painted with a can of artists mat fixative, which gives a slight sheen. As a further step I reversed my current trend and used an acrylic mat varnish brushed on the clothes to bring the mat back so the final finish is a mixture of semi mat and mat. Then I used GW Blood God Red to splatter where blood would be. It is nice and thick and watery at the same time with a gloss finish, just right for blood.

One caution with PVA is that even if water resistant it will not remain stable if submerged in water so don't wash the figures.




 

Comments

Popular Posts