We'll build him better than before - broken medieval fixed.

After my recent wargame Chloe, the new cat knocked some things off the table, including an Airfix medieval soldier. I painted him 25 years ago but after the fall the figure broke off the base at the legs and his axe broke off.

Why worry about repairing a brittle figure who is just one of thousands of figures in my collection? There are plenty more unpainted ones I could paint up and add to the painted collection. Well the Airfix ones are not that common and besides I never leave  one of my little guys behind. So the Huey choppered in and took Tommy Jones to my work bench.
 I super glued the legs back to the base and carefully drilled out the sword hand with a twist drill and gave him a new axe, glued in with Araldite. Then I took out an insurance policy via green stuff built around the legs and shaped it to look like grass or bushes. Those legs won't break again in a hurry. Then I went to town on the base adding toadstools. With my current fungal fixation for saintly hallucinating, mushroom taking heroines it comes with the territory. Actually it comes from all those fairy tale books I had as a child with pictures of cute beetles, fairies and massive red mushrooms/toadstools with white dots.

 I also added a few stone shards I collected at a NSW beach a couple of decades ago for just such a purpose. To top it off I cut some pieces of plastic plant from a Xmas tree and made putty flowers for the ends. I also had kept some hair from my daughter cut when she had dyed it blond. It makes really wonderful dry grass when cut with scissors and stuck in PVA on the base. If you have any blonds in the family cut a few snippets off when they are sleeping and store them for later use on your toy soldier bases, Voodoo rituals and so on.

 

Comments

  1. Excellent. Never leave a figure behind. I approve and will add that to my discipline.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts