Character generation for Bogavania and Beerstein

Last night, I decided that after nine battles in our campaign it was time to decide on a bit more detail about the kings of Bogavania and Beerstein. Here I found the work of Tony Bath especially useful.

Using a hundred sided dice I got my daughter to roll it for my character's age. Eerily, I said, 'Wouldn't it be funny if it came up with my actual age'. It came up 56 and guess who recently turned 56? I then had my daughter roll again to see if Long Shanks, or Jimrick Ocreicher, died of any natural causes. Being over 50 he has a 20% chance of dying. Thankfully, his health is in order!
We also established that he has two brothers, Dalton, 59 and Axel, 55. Initially they were somewhat older but then I realised that Beerstein gives preference to the oldest son. However, The High Council can decide to give preference to a younger son based on other considerations. So I have left Dalton as older but decided that age 71 was a little unlikely and I have settled for age 59. This allows for a complication in the dynasty. Does Dalton harbor resentment? Dalton, I determined suffers from being a hunchback and having epilepsy which caused the council to overlook him.

His wife, Hilda has five brothers and sisters and is aged 58.
The royals have two sons, Conrad27 and Adolphus, 28.

The king of Bogavania rolled at aged 16, a little young so changed to 18, until I discovered that in an earlier post I had created certain details about King Blue Iron ( Thew Mafield) which makes him somewhat older so I have settled on age 37. His first wife, Jilian had recently died. However she gave him five children, 14 year old female twins, Olga and Sveeta, twins male and female, Peter and Rita, aged 13. The boy, Ivan is aged 12.

The king's new wife is Sophia Spooner, his 17 year old second cousin.
Obviously, the character generation could be extended to include other characters, physical appearance, skills and temperament. At some point I want to extend this to generals, even allowing for them doing things that the player might have preferred the didn't1 An impetuous commander might take undue risks and a cautious one might tarry when he should be taking aggressive actions. A percentage dice suitably loaded could cater for this.

I have also been re-reading Fantasy Wargaming by Martin Hackett which has some interesting ideas about generating income from various map hexes and expenditure for armies. A future campaign might incorporate this. A captured town, castle etc would generate additional 'credits'.

Comments

Popular Posts