Recruits for The Bogavanian Campaign

Below: Bogavanian peasants, as yet un-based. They have been busy looting weapons from the recent Bogavanian victory. These ones have painted a Bogavanian religious symbol on their shields.
B

 Original Timpo Action Pack. I bought these painted but painted over the original paint jobs. I like the Lion Heart figure although the real Richard had three lions as his heraldry. It doesn't matter as they will be generic medium armoured 'knights' or men-at-arms.
 I very much like the Cresent bare-headed knight and have previously converted some into English Civil War 'lobsters' and 16th century Renaissance types. This figure is a hard plastic Chinese copy which instead of bare head comes with helmeted head with ancient Greek looking crest! I gave him a new sword and enlisted him in the Bogavanian army. I like the combination of different historical styles. I need to give him a sword scabbard.
                                         More Fezian border regiment on the production line
Here they are being painted. I undercoated them with Citadel white spray, not cheap at $26 a can but a good quality and suitable for use with acrylics. I once made the mistake of using a cheap spray undercoat which have a granulated finish. I used to use Dulux undercoat spray which gives a smooth finish but acrylics do not always take well to it. I used a large number four brush and slopped on the purple first, not worrying about overlapping other areas of the figure. Then I painted the silver armour the spear and shield and the base, all with acrylics. I also used 'wet/dry brushing on the tunics. I mixed white with the basic colour and wiped it across the folds of the clothing while the paint was still wet. I took me about an hour to paint fifteen figures to this stage.

 I also mixed white with the sand colour to dry brush the bases tat had been previously textured with sand and PVA. Next I changed to a number one brush and used a Citadel/Games Workshop purple wash, applying only to the creases in the cloth. I returned to using the big brush to apply Nuln Oil (black Citadel wash) to the whole of the chain mail so that it sank into the spaces in the chain mail. This was another half hour of painting. I used to do all my shading and highlighting with laborious, and careful blending of paint but this other method of using ashes is much faster although the earlier method might have produced slightly better finish if done carefully.
 
                Bogavanian king's guard. I mentioned these conversions in an earlier post. I think the figure with added cloak might actually be royalty. The far right figure had a mould defect as you can see he has a tilt so I think he is the habitual drunk - not really guard material but he must have had some redeeming feature to make up for his binges. The guard is privileged to wear the king's heraldry.



                      Bogavanian castle guard, also conversions of recent made in China cheapo stuff




Comments

Popular Posts