True Legends Mythical Figures

Toys R Us currently has buckets of seventy odd pieces for fifteen dollars. They have sets of skeletons and pirates, Modern, Ninja, Wild West and knights. I haven't seen the ninja. The knights are not much chop but I like the skeleton set and this mythical one.

I bought four buckets of the mythical ones. A properly packed set has elf archers, Conan the Barbarian look-alikes, a witch, a sorceress, female warriors with two swords, a barbarian figure with warhammer which looks like an over-sized dwarf, some oversixed candles,a dragon and some undersized orks. Scenery includes some grey rocks that look like noses from a plastic glasses set, some nice hard plastic pillars, some round brick bases with poles with metal looking ends that look like snow ploughs, some low sand colored brick ruins and some very nice trees.

Pros: No flash, very nice sculpting, especially on the faces, cheapness, production of a genre not always available in this 1/32 scale and  the ease of building up armies.  Most of the accessories are good, The figures lend themselves to conversion.
Cons: More poses would be good, the dragon is dorky, the orks are too small and the dwarf is too big,

My favorite figure is the Conanesque figure and I have already converted it to get variations. I added putty chain mail and animal heads. I am also adding helmets to some figures. It wouldn't take much to change them into historical Vikings or Celts, especially if the fantasy sword is replaced and trousers molded on. I decided to go with the fantasy theme and make them even more fantastical. The animal headdresses could have just been wolf and bear skins as some Vikings wore, but I went further and added 'Snookum ookum bird' head dresses, and snake, obviously these new Hillmen have heard of or payed a visit to Aztecia and been impressed by the variety of animal helmets.

My next favorite figure is the female warrior because she reminds my of the 28mm Warhammer Dark Elf wyches. I have been adding some wilder hair from putty and also to disguise the lack of pointy ears. They are going to be painted in very pale skin with black or purple clothes. The Warhammer wyches make up for lack of armor with their great speed and dexterity. They are, however, vulnerable to missile fire. In my 54mm games they are going to be comparable to Vikings in combat but with two attacks each and lacking armor to fend off arrows. In the majority of cases they will have the highest initiative.

More pics will follow over the next few days.





Comments

Popular Posts