Celts and Saracens/Fezians rebased

These are the figures I obtained recently from Dave Palmer and partially repainted. Some of the original bases were made of thin plastic card and had warped and in any case I wanted the bases to conform in size to my medieval basing system. I followed Steve Wardle's original basing which was 4cm by 4cm bases. This is a bigger size than my Horse and Musket and later era. The large bases are designed for ease of movement and stability of individual figures so they can be clearly seen as fighting particular figures. Originally the medieval rules were very one on one combat. My rules now are a combination of this and unit based rules. Some figures look better on these than others. Smaller figures can look a bit lost on large bases. My medieval and ancient figures tend to be a mixture of 54mm and 60mm so it works out okay.

I used my usual basing method which is to cut thick card to size and coat in PVA with sand of various grains added. When dry they are usually coated sand colored and when this is dry I add a brown wash. The last touch is a lighter sand dry brush, mostly for desert or more spots of PVA and a mixture of flocks added with my favorite being static grass, You need to be careful not to breathe it in and to blow off the excess before any fuurther painting of figures occurs. I have seen quite a few figures, my own included, a little (or very) spoiled after being spray varnished by having bits of synthetic grass stuck in the varnish, all over the figures, The other option is to spray figures before flock is added although the spray does help to strengthen the bond between base and flock. You can, of course, vary the amount of grass,depending on the terrain envisaged. I also have a variation of painting bases black and dry brushed with slate grey to depict rock, notably for 'evil' forces and figures like witches, Chaos and Dark Elves. Sometimes I paint bases to look like castle rocks with different shades of grey with black lines between. I have even painted some SF figures to depict rock with lava showing in gaps.





Comments

Popular Posts