The Age of Sigmar Ophidian Archway

Games Workshop has changed its Warhammer rules again and introduced 'The Age of Sigmar' The new rules are based on just four pages, perhaps because the old Warhammer rules were twice as hard to learn as the Warhammer 40K rules. In fact some of the new miniatures look like Space Marines without the technology and bolt guns. I was still trying to get my head around the old Warhammer fantasy rules. I haven't studied the new rules yet but I am told the figures are meant to be spread out more rather than put on movement bases, all very well unless you are moving a few hundred around.

One thing did catch my eye and that was the ruins. I bought the one called Ophidian Archway to use in my Bogavania versus Beerstrein campaign. It looks incredible with its dragon relief and hero on the outside and variou scenes on the inside wall.

There are only a few parts but the corner columns were a little difficult to align and hold together. In the end I had a gap but filled it with putty and tube kit cement. The whole thing i spray painted black. The lighter looking parts of the ruins I then dry brushed a very pale grey followed by a greyish sandy color with a more grey tone on the outer side. the dragon o painted a dark bronze color first, followed by progressively brighter shades of gold. The new Sigmar range includes some new 'special' shades of gold but with their special prices of nine dollars a pot as opposed to six dollars a pot for the rest of GW paints i gave them a miss - on principle.

The ruin comes with some interesting rules that i will incorporate, with modifications for my own rules. A unit within three inches of the ruin causes fear in any enemy attacking it. I am a little confused by this as what happens when two units are within three inches of it but from different sides? I'll assume the benefit goes to the side fist in possession. Also a hero can try to harness the spirits of the ruin to cause casualties in an enemy. However, there is a chance of this backfiring and killing the hero.

i used the same paint scheme as on the box work but mixed some of the colors rather than use all the numbered paints mentioned.I have photographed the ruin with 54mm and also 28mm figures. The ruin looks more impressive with smaller figures but is passable for 54mm.



















Comments

Popular Posts