Redian Army Receives More Hollowcast Recruits

I have always been fascinated by old metal toy soldiers. I had a handful of guardsmen as a child, one line infantryman with bugle and one horse guard. I was of the plastic generation. Don't get me wrong as I love old plastics as well. But there was something very different about these old hollowcast, stiff poses compared to the plastics but they looked steadfast and then there was that story about the one legged toy soldier and his love which always seemed so sad and happy at the same time with his eventual melting down with his ballerina and forming a metal heart together.

The first photo shows my marching guard unit, most of which are old hollowcast of various brands and a few plastics and home castings. I added some putty ammo pouches and extra painted detail on most of them, beyond the originals. I have seen old Britains painted in realistic styles but i decided to stick to an old style paint job but with some extra details. it's hard to know when to stop as the guardsman cuff and shirt detail is quite complex. I have some other guard units that are shooting but I wanted to do something unusual so painted them as Welsh guards which were one of the later guard units to be formed. i think I got the flag from London bridge collectables. other spares came from moulds. Quite a few of the figures were very battered, often with arms and heads missing so they are mostly completely re-painted.

I have found the original Britains red colour impossible to replicate exactly but it did not bother me too much. It was a slightly dull orangey crimson.


                                             I am proud of my Horse Guard - i had one as a child and later swapped it for something and i regretted it ever since. For that reason i picked up quite a few, usually beaten up ones that I have repaired and largely repainted. Some have the moveable sword arm and some don't.
     Most of the marching line infantry I bought recently from David P. I got them for two dollars each. As they are in very good nick I am reluctant to do any conversion work and re-painting but I'll base them to avoid the domino affect. the pioneer is a solid by my old friend Anthony (who I knew as Dave bryant).




                                        Here are a heterodox bunch I also got from Dave; Churchill with Tommy was just what I wanted. i saw an article recently about alternative WW2 with an invasion of Britain; That game was in 28 mm but i just might do it in 54mm. The mounted trooper is a Indian Princely British adviser, I think. there is a Britains Aussie and a 19th century dismounted figure, possible Australian unit.









I have a question for some unifrom expert out nthere. The Britains Horse guards came with either red or dark blue collars so why the variation? did the uniform change or were their two different units?



I'll also be doing a post on the Britains dragoons i aquired from Dave.

Comments

  1. I'm no expert but, Life Guards, red jackets; Horse Guards, blue jackets. The thing to remember is that, till just after WW2 there were two regiments of Life Guards, The 1st and The 2nd. I wonder, did they have different facings to act as distinctions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is "something" about those old Britain's. I also grew up with more plastic than metal but painted plastic. Still use both too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts