Children's Animal Dominoes Into Cavalry Bases

I bought second hand some nice little wooden boxes containing wooden dominoes for children. There are some with cartoon farm animals and others with Australian native animals. more importantly, they are just what i want for bases for my hollowcast cavalry. the width is just right. The length is fine for most of them and the thickness of the bases makes them a little higher than the card bases I usually use. i want the extra height as in my wargames they will come up against the larger Britains Detail and others, not to mention the relative giants from Armies n Plastic horses.

On the other hand I did not want the base thicknesses to conspicuous so I beveled the edges. I found that with some of the old Britains horses more space, length wise was needed so I left some bases unbeveled at the ends. I also used the bases for some smaller plastic horses and a few head of livestock -the troops like some meat in their meals.

I am considering flocking the bases. I wanted a traditional look as these figures are mostly in original paint jobs, so may not. On the other hand the glue can be seen under the paint and flock would cover this and the rest of my army mostly has flocked bases. I'd be interested in people's opinions on this.



Various horses, cattle, bases, an Indian completed with home cast head and wire and aluminium lance. There is also a figure with unpainted home casting head, At right is the circular sander used on the bases prior to hot gluing figures to them.


  A view from the paint tin. I look out for second hand house paint ( mostly acrylic) from garage sales and buy paints I'll want a lot of like green and blue. Some of this green I also transferred to a screw top jam jar.

 I made sure I placed the side upwards which had the daggy animal characters as an overturned figure would look very unmilitary with a cartoon chicken on the underside of the base. I have come across these dominoes a few times and have enough to base another three or four cavalry regiments. How appropriate that my dragoons will no longer be lined up only to fall down like so many dominoes!



So here they are with flock! I generally mix four or five different types but I like static grass best.



Comments

Popular Posts