ACOTS 2016 Wargames Championship



Steve organised the Saturday wargames - Medieval in his shed and French and Indian Wars outside  on a table. The Medieval games. although on one large table, were three games with a time limit. The two games I participated in involved special rules for a hill (nicknamed Senlac Hill). The smaller force on that side of the board had to occupy and hold the hill and the other side had to drive them off. The first time I was the aggressor, and on being told I had oodles of time I took my time and took pot shots with a tiny force of archers while the rest of my army positioned for the final assault. After I finally began the assault I was told the game had ended. Consequently my opponent, Tony's casualties and my own were not that high.

There were 14 players and the three first places were based on won games and number of casualties suffered. Half the participants won two games and as it was out of only two games the outcome was close. However, the three players with placings, Tony with First place, Brenton with Second Place and myself with third place were ecstatic with their achievement. Tony, especially would not stop gas bagging about his win maybe because of some massacres of his troops that occurred last convention.. Apparently his domestic situation was also supposed to improve to the status of kingship but this may have brooked some opposition bordering on the French Revolution.

On Sunday the medieval game was replayed as one large game. This time I was defending the hill with Vikings, counted as medium infantry unless forming a shield wall when they became heavies. This was achieved by having two or more units in line.

This time the hill was further forward but Chris, my commander gave me a lucky card which enabled me to have extra moves to place a unit. As the enemy won the initiative their cavalry surged forward. Consequently a battle occurred early but without the shield wall. A large unit of my Vikings followed forward and helped the vanguard unit destroy enemy cavalry. My opponent, Bryan, with a smaller force, although mounted and heavily armored, was overwhelmed. This cleared the left flank of enemy.

Meanwhile our right flank was a stalemate with large forces of knights locked in rugby scrum. Our center was weaker but we occupied a ridge and impacted the enemy with our mounted knights. A victory was declared for our side.

All figures in the game were Steve's painted figures.




















Comments

Popular Posts