Wagons Roll

I am in the process of making a new medieval wagon. I recently bought a cheapo set of  copies of Airfix cowboys and Indians and a wagon and canoe for $4. the figures were not particularly good but the wagon and canoe serviceable.

I decided to replace spoked wheels with solid ones. the rear wheels came from a cart in a BMC Alamo set and the front wheels were wooden cut outs. I since did some research and found out that both spoked and solid wheels existed in medieval times. (Solid ones stood up to more rough use. When the Romans introduced their roads to Europe spoked wheels became more possible).

I also cut some icy pole sticks to raise the seat. I haven't decided whether to use draft horses or oxen yet.

Below is my new wagon in progress and some of my earlier wagons, including a converted Smurf wagon. The water (or wine/ale) wagon is my favourite. Some years ago there were some wagons made with these big barrels. Most of the smaller wagons/carts are from the BMC Alamo set with added draft animals.


                                                             Below: current project





Comments

Popular Posts