Teabags, Dolls' Hair, Headphones, Fishtank Cottonwool, Wagons And Pack Animals

There is nothing like an approaching wargame campaign to stimulate the production of figures. Necessity is the mother of invention too. I already have a lot of wagons but most of them have the hoops and canvas that makes them look 19th century. One of the local clearance shops has bags of awful copies of Airfix cowboys and Indians but also a nice wagon.

I also had some large barrels from a pirate set and a number of various seated figures. So I discarded the wagon cover, added a better seat from pieces of icypole sticks and added the barrels which will have custom taps added from wire and putty.

The riders here are an old rubbery made in China cowboy and a couple of WW2 Germans - I forget the brand. All I had to do was cut down respirators into pouches, cut off belts and pockets and add putty hoods. (I love those medieval hoods as they remind me of the ones in the Harvey comics (that I still have) I saw when I was a child).

Next I worked on some more pack animals. I didn't want to make all the packing from putty - an expensive exercise. Instead I used folded over tissue for the under blanket and some rolled tissue for baggage. I also used some fish tank filter cotton and dolls' hair for straw or wheat. On wild impulse I also grabbed some (unused) tea bags from the kitchen, cut off the string (which also could be used for holding down objects) and glued them with Super Glue to the backs of animals (not my cats, which for once were not jumping on onto my lap).

My daughter goes through a set of headphones each month so I stripped the plastic cover for the wiring and used the thin wires to tie down the baggage. Just for something totally different I utilised an undersized uintatherium as a pack animal - it may see service in a more unusual army - perhaps orks or Chaos. I haven't decided if I'll paint it in prehistorically plausible grey like a rhino or red or purple like a proper fantasy beast.

Everything (including my fingers) was coated in PVA glue.


Top to bottom: Camel with the fish tank filter, zebra with dolls hair and odd plastic crate and donkey/mule with teabags.
                                    Our prehistoric friend with teabags. (I don't drink tea anyway).

      Cowboy into medieval peasant, a bit of a reversal from his former days of freedom on the range. The bottom part looks like a copy of Timpo wagon driver.
                                             A better seat
                            Two former WW2 Germans undercoated with GW Mournfang brown spray. In this case the wagon had solid wheels added.
                                   Zebras are just donkeys with stripes added anyway aren't they?

Comments

Popular Posts