New 'Pirate' Cannon

I came across this pirate set in the cheap shop. Each bag has a small ship and differing accessories. Some had rafts. The one which caught my eye had an unusual cannon (nearly as big as the undersized ship) and a cartoony figurine. The cannon reminded me of a picture of an early cannon I have seen somewhere, maybe one of the more ancient ones used by the Chinese in the Boxer Rebellion, especially the four wheeled type of carriage.. Or it could even be late medieval.

The cannon had two holes along the barrel which I filled with Putty. I also drilled and cut out the plastic plug from the barrel and added some putty inside the barrel. I could also have unscrewed the barrel and removed the plug that way but trust me to take the brutal option. (And I couldn't find a screwdriver). The gun carriage is also removable and could therefore be used with an alternative barrel, maybe a dragon barrel from one of the AIP sets. I have included one of my 1/32 figures for scale.




    The cartoony figure , probably destined for the charity bin although the shako is nice. Maybe I'll scalp him.

.Other uses in a smaller scale would be to make an ork lobba for 40k or even a large dwarf cannon for Warhammer. Even the wheels alone would be useful for some project.


Here it is finished except for some final tidying up on the wheels.

It is a unique piece in my artillery collection. I can see it being used in my medieval fantasy campaign as well as by gretchin in my 40 K games.

If anyone can see any resemblance to anything historical I would enjoy hearing from you. The barrel is, of course, huge, but it looks good, I think.

Comments

Popular Posts