Lone Star And Cresent Swoppet Indians.

I bought some of the Lone Star Swoppets with my pocket money when i was a boy in the 60s or early 70s. They were in a display box and I remember how cool I thought the kneeling and standing firing ones were. In my childhood games I flicked a marble, elastic band etc from a figure's position and seeing the figure in a firing pose made this look all the better. I think additional figures I obtained somewhere quite a few years later.

Things I like about them are the bandoleers a number have, one even waving a bandoleer. another thing is the sculpting is very nice, especially of the faces, with the sharp Indian noses a feature of some tribes.

Strange things about them are they have extra loin cloths as they come both molded and as separate pieces and also the chiefs don't have hair (unless mine have simply lost theirs.

A weakness in the figures is the square plug ins to the bases sometimes tend to break through. Another problem, typical of swoppets, is the tendency to lose the hair and feather add-ons but this is more pronounced with these figures as they are mo lose than with Timpo figures.

The Lone Star figure with round base has a Hong Kong base and the figure riding a horse with no reins is riding a different horse.

The Cresent swoppet figure, of which I have only one, is the one with silver tomahawk (not necessarily the original weapon - i'm unsure). His facial features are less sharp than the Lone Star figures and i think the general sculpting is not quite as good. I think these figures were also copied by HK.








If anyone can give me additional information on these figures, including degree of rarity and value I'd be interested.

Comments

Popular Posts