My Favourite Brushes

I don't usually write about my 'tools of the trade' but A good brush is important, I spend a lot on brushes and if they last a month I'm happy , because once they lose their points they are relegated to terrain painting and dry brushing. In fact if I'm doing a lot of painting I need new brushes after a couple of weeks. Sure I have jars of brushes but most of them are 'elderly' and when they become really splayed they are destined to apply Araldite and other glues before being dispensed with.

I have mentioned before that I like toy soldiers to have proper faces and not just creepy souless blank ones. (Mind you I have seen some creepy ones with all the details painted but in a melted waxwork fashion). So I do like to have brushes that do the job well. Once I was content with triple zero but long ago I discovered multiple zero brushes up into the trillions - well not quite. You do need to stop somewhere because if there are too few hairs not much paint is going to adhere to the brush. In theory even a number three brush can apply fine detail if it is kept to a fine point. If.

I have used a number of brands but so far my favourite is The Army painter, Wargamer The Pscycho, Product Code BR7014. No, they aren't paying me to say this - unfortunately. It doesn't state how many zeroes but it would be sufficient. It is a breeze to paint eyes and other details with these brushes and they retain their points longer than other brushes.

I just received these in the mail as no shop in my town sells them and the Internet was the next step. I decided I was not going to run out, well not for a few months.


I'm not sure if these brushes are synthetic or sable but I think the former. On a more general note I hear a lot of superior sniffs about how sable is superior to synthetic brushes but I disagree. I have found that, provided it is good quality, a synthetic brush holds its point better.

The next thing to remember - and apologies to those who consider this like telling their grandmas how to suck eggs' - do they still do that? I thought whatever you hear those nursing homes would at least cook their eggs - to look after your brushes. This entails NOT leaving them hair end down in paint or cleaner (water or turps depending on paint) and not to let paint dry in the brush. Wash  the brush in soapy water and whatever concoction you find works, rinse and squeeze into a point before leaving upright in a suitable container. DO NOT let your cat, rabid or non rabid dog or  five year old child play with them. (Do children get rabid?) Give them your cast offs to play with making sure they are first free of paint.

Comments

Popular Posts