Two Kinds Of Sphinx

A week ago I bought a some reaper figures in a Melbourne hobby shop, Mind Games. One was a two headed ogre and the other a female sphinx. The reaper white plastic figures have very little flash, in fact, virtually none and they are very well sculpted. The price is much cheaper than Games Workshop. Yesterday  bought, at a local Sunday market, a metal sphinx. It is of similar size to a ceramic one I already had so I might decide to sell it.

The Reaper figure has a very pretty human face and upper body, curiously clothed in a short top. There is no bottom clothing but there is enough fur to not require it, I guess.

 The only small issue was that after I glued the separate arm and wings I noticed a gap on the back, between one wing and the body. This I filled with putty before undercoating. The label claims undercoating is unnecessary but my experience with these figures is that undercoating assists paint adhesion. I use the usual plastic primer spray and Games Workshop white acrylic spray.



                                    An old 54 mm hollowcast highlander is shown for scale.


                                                   Here it is posed with a 28 mm figure.


The plastic sphinx could be painted as a statue or painted as a fantasy creature. The examples of paint finishes on Google Images show it painted in the colour of a lion, including the human type part of it. The wings were painted white and blue and the collar ornament painted in Egyptian style gold and blue which seems like a good colour scheme.

The metal sphinx would make a good scenic piece. The piece has its nose intact. Historically the nose was destroyed by members of Napoleon's army when they used it for cannon practice. I would use it in fantasy or 'alternative history' anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts