Polish Hussars Modifications

At ACOTS I bought nine Russian made Polish Hussars from Bob. (Although called hussars they also had lances and pistols as well as swords). At home they joined a lone made in Poland Polish Lancer I bought from Bryan and one of them donated his wings (that had been lost). That does mean I still have a lancer without wings so I'll be making some from scratch at some stage. I might also convert some Britains Turks to make the unit at least 12 men.

I  have wanted a unit of these for some time as they would make a good fantasy addition. It is even tempting to add 'real' wings to the horses but I am going to make this unit as if it is a historical one even though it will become part of Bogavanian or Beerstein forces.

Lances I thought would make the figures more impressive and I have giving them extra long lances 12 to 15 cm as the actual lances were between 9 and 15 feet, hollowed out to maintain lightness and capable of defeating pikemen. This they repeatedly did as the length of the pikes lances were out classed. The matchlocks of the period were also notoriously slow and inaccurate thus allowing the lancers to press home the charge.

The horses have loose heads and tails so I have glued some as if turning to left or right and used putty to fill gaps and trimming was made to make a better fit.

I made lances from some of the thicker flower arranging wire with the long pennants cut from aluminium can. Such pennants were designed to scare opponents horses and the feathers caused a magnificent massed rustling sound to scare the bejesus out of enemies.







Comments

Popular Posts