Tinplate Planes


I bought this sea plane at an antiques bazaar in Melbourne. It cost me $12 (Aus). It has some rust showing through here and there but it adds to the character and actually makes it more realistic looking. The machine gun is less realistic looking as it is a screw!
                                           I posed some figures next to it to show scale.

                   The Bordurian plane in the foreground is plastic and has lost its propeller.
                                      The red Baron looking biplane is similar dimensions and I have had that one for a while. Its improvised wheels are quaint.


One day I'll make seated pilots for these from something although it will be a challenge to fill the depths to support pilots' seats.

I don't know if the toy metal planes were mass produced or were purely one offs by single dedicated hobbyists or home crafters.

Comments

  1. What a charming seaplane and great buy. I look forward to seeing it in action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts