Chinese Boxer Recruits

I'm still a long way from a 19th century Imperial Chinese army but after this I'll have around sixty figures. My plan, when I finally use them in a game is to use around forty Hing fat pirates that I haven't actually converted into Chinese, to supplement those I have and the AIP figures.

Eventually I'll paint up some twenty Chinese regulars. I have which are castings from the Britains running figure. they will be in dark blue. Also I'll convert some ACW into Chinese regulars (not to mention Japanese).

I am also going to convert some ECW musketeers into Chinse matchlock men (or if I run out of time for a scheduled game I'll just recruit them as is!)

I have focussed on a red and yellow paint scheme with individual variations.

Just a note on flesh tones: Most paints have labels saying flesh tone are designed to represent European flesh tone, although Games Workshop also does a 'Dark Flesh' 'Dwarf flesh' ,'Elf Flesh' and a nice flesh wash. The Dwarf and Elf are pretty much Caucasian tones. Some brands have flesh that lacks a reddish or pinkish tinge and are pretty much East Asian. For Europeans with tans I mix in some dark flesh (reddish brown). For Mongoloid types like Chinese and Japanese I mix in some yellow ochre and mix until I am happy with it. These races also have a range of tones from very light to a darker hue.

Another possibility is using my Italeri Mongols as Chinese cavalry and I have about fifty of them. The fit is not exact but they will do for a game. I have a suspicion the Chinese cavalry, unlike medieval Mongols, were not much chop but I'll have to read up on that.

I have plenty of allied troops but will eventually make some just for the Boxer Rebellion.

The Chinese army will also be generic so I might include some types from a few decades later. Paul Wright, in his Funny Little Wars book, has some interesting army lists.










Comments

Popular Posts