Two Hundred Monsters

Well, there were not quite two hundred monsters. I received the two tubes today that state there are 100 figures a tube. This is what I came up with for tube 1: 8 Mothras, 8 spiders, 6 werewolves, 8 cyclops, 10 demons, 7 mummies, 3 Godzillas, 6 Frankensteins, 8 zombies, 8 Draculas, 7 cross graves, 9 tombstones and 8 Black lagoon monsters - 96 figures. Tube 2 had 6 Mothras, 4 spiders, 6 werewolves, 7 cyclops, 10 demons, 7 mummies, 6 Godzillas, 9 creatures from the Black lagoon, 5 Frankensteins, 8 zombies, 8 Draculas, 6 crosses, 5 tombstones, again short of 100 figures. The variation in numbers doesn't worry me as there are so many figures for a cheap price.

I bought these figures with an eye for wargames. I have ranked them according to their usefulness for games and their sculpting, anatomy and pose.

Below are the individual figures ranked left to right for my favourites to least favourites.


                                                      One tube's contents on the table
        Left to right: 1/ demon: This I chose as he is the most nicely sculpted figure and he will form part of my winged demons unit. Arguably the wings are too small but as he is a partly supernatural figure I make allowances. 2/ Frankenstein. Why on earth pick this one, you ask? Well, the Frankensteins will be a ghoul unit, counted as living creatures rather than undead as I follow the Warhammer concept. 3/ Mummy. I wanted more mummies to make a unit. Some old Warhammer rules make provision for mummies as magical creatures but ones vulnerable to fire. The only thing I don't like about the figure is he is running. I prefer the idea of the slow but very scary shuffle forward of the mummy. 4/ creature from the Black lagoon. This is also one of the best sculpted figures. It could serve in both fantasy and SF scenarios. He is a bit limited to a creature role rather than a warrior as his hands are too open to place weapons in. 5/ Werewolf. I like this one because of the sheer comical pose. He looks like he is heeling like a good dog. I'd be tempted to add a tongue salivating. There are only so many sitting werewolves I can use but I suppose he could also be used as a gargoyle on a roof. 6/ Zombie - you can never have too many zombies! He is munching on a leg and has a screwdriver through an eye. it would be easy enough to cut off screw drivers and food source. What I don't like is the figure is a little too cartoony and rather wobbly. 7/ Cyclops. It is a nice looking figure with conversion material. The exception are the stumpy legs - I'd be tempted to cut him in half and give new legs. He would probably be part of my Chaos army or I'd use him in an SF scenario.



                                                                  Below: Godzilla


         8/ Tomb stone: I have enough of these (along with crosses) for a cemetery, even a non-fantasy one. The negative is the skull is over sized. I'd be inclined to cut it off, or, more easily, use putty to fill in features and make it into a rock. I'll leave one as is and disguise the skulls on others. 9/ The cross is also handy. Obviously the hand can be cut off and I'll do that with most of them. The two grave markers can be used for a whole cemetery or they can be used as markers for summoning skeletons or zombies. 10/ I almost forgot Godzilla, obviously much too small to be used as Godzilla but useful for a reptilian man sized creature. 11/ The Mothra is obviously a lot smaller, scale wise than the movie Mothra. I would use a few of these as a swarm. 12/ The Dracula is kind of cute but rather too cartoony for my tastes, at least for use in my games. I say that because the head is obviously way too big, even though it is nicely sculpted. Also I already have enough vampires. 13/  I list the spider last if only because toy spiders are already very easy to pick up from toy shops. It is still usable.



One last point is that the long clear tube is useful to place aircraft or spaceships on.

Comments

Popular Posts