Charbens 18th Century Grenadiers And Conversions

Although I never had Charbens figures as a child I very much like them. The chunky look appeals to me. The first photos shows some figures I painted many years - decades actually - ago. I painted them as British grenadiers, Hessians and a light blue European uniform I saw in a reference book for Swiss troops in french service, mid-18th century.

However, I have come to think it would be nice to have a couple of complete units. I already have American Revolutionary era units of British grenadiers in fur hats. A Hessian unit would fit for that conflict. The mitred cap otherwise is more properly Seven Years War and earlier. On the other hand, they are likely to see service in imaginations anyway. At some point my nations of Bogavania and Beerstein will reach 18th to early nineteenth century era when I plan to use a variety of troops intended for these 18th century wars and also Napoleonic.





                     A steam punkish Warhammer 40 K building has sneaked in there.





Below are my recent conversions. I bought a few sets from The Toy Soldier Company and began cutting heads off! The reason is that the poses are mostly terrible! Two figures with muskets are really good for making units - the standing firing and especially the charging figure. The kneeling figure would be good if he was actually doing anything worthwhile as he just holds his musket out with one hand. I know, I'll give him a ram rod not quite ready to ram the musket but getting there.The officers are good but come now, half the figures appear to be bloody officers! Either that or the rank and file threw away their muskets to use their swords! So this is what I did - I got out my scalpel and the officers lost their heads!

So what about bodies as these are big figures with big heads? I had a look at my BMC Revolutionary War figures and noticed that some figures were 60 mm rather than 54 mm. So these provided the donors. I wanted some kneeling firing but the BMC kneeling are not quite as big yet still chunky figures. The other large figures I used were AIP French and Indian Wars figures. The ones waving hats and holding halberds have had the hats removed or changed into mitre hat and the floppy halberds removed. Instead these figures will be flag holders.

Then  I ran out of Charbens mitre hatted heads! Out came the putty which was added to trimmed down mitre caps.
 
                        This one with putty cap on head needs to have his new cap trimmed down. His arm has been re-positioned. The cap waver has also had his hat changed.



Comments

Popular Posts