Mitre Cap Guardsmen Undercoated

Here are the Charbens and the various non Charbens conversions undercoated. I thought I'd save some pennies and use some cheaper spray undercoats. So I bought a white undercoat enamel undercoat (would have preferred acrylic if there was a cheap option).
 And guess what? It had a gloss finish; my acrylic paints were not going to adhere to that! How is that a #@&%ing undercoat?! Then I found my GW red undercoat. Okay I would use it for the red coats and get a mat white spray tomorrow. Then I found I still had a GW spray white in a cupboard so on it went over either the glossy white or the clear plastic undercoat.
                                            In the foreground is an MPC dead Confederate.


    Notice the BMC AWI figures tower over the Charbens figures; I hadn't expected that! But they still look good, I think.

                                The hat waver's tricorne has been converted into a mitre cap.
I prefer to have units of the same action - usually firing or advancing but I still like to have differences between individuals, even in these periods of drilled actions.

The firing figures are going to be mostly in dark blue and I may use them as Hessians.
The advancing will be British but I need more conversions. The remainder will be Swiss in French service.

I did some conversion work to make the BMC figures look more mid 18th century and to match the Charbens figures. The mid 18th century uniforms had bigger cuffs and longer vests. The most awkward things to change were the coat turnbacks so I kind of fudged that. The earlier uniform had turnbacks to the sides but later period had moved to the back. The equipment made it difficult to change this. The AIP mid 18th century uniforms already had this style of uniform so the only thing to change was the hat.

Although I have modelled the uniforms on actual ones the truth is the mid 18th century uniforms will make their appearance in my American Revolution games and also fictitious imaginations scenarios. The main diifernce in the historical games is what side the Americans (or at least a portion of them) were on! In the imaginations scenario blue uniforms will be Bogavanians and red ones Beerstein. Napoleonic units will fight along side mid and late 18th century units. That is looking far ahead because we are just entering the Renaissance and 17th century periods. (I should really be concentrating in my Call to Arms English Civil War figure painting but I have already done a few units for that and, as usual, my attention wandered).

I think it is just that there is something fundamentally appealing about mitre caps. The figures are going to be painted in a semi old toy soldier style which those caps just call out for.

Comments

Popular Posts