Elephant Mahouts And Howdahs


I have a week to get the mahouts and howdahs finished but I'll most likely leave two elephants with mahouts only.

The elephant at far left is ceramic (I'm going to have to be careful to not drop this one on the concrete floor!)and came with the cloth cover and decoration. It is the largest elephant so I call him Gigantor after that huge manga Robot! I used the gift box to make the howdah and cut an arch on each end to fit the elephant. The bottom was cut out and re-glued to make the floor. This time I skipped making a castle effect. The rider is a HK copy  of a Herald figure with some conversion. It doesn't actually sit but it will do until I find abetter figure. Because the elephant is so big a cavalry figure will not have legs splayed sufficiently. Another option might be to use a camel rider which would be in a better fitting pose.
The middle elephant is a cheapo plastic one I picked up somewhere. The rider is a rubbery plastic Australian figure which was a giveaway at service stations. I cut down the slouch hat and added an arrow to the hat to represent a spiked helmet. The right hand figure is another cheapo elephant. I picked a cowboy rider because I once saw some ancient cavalry with armour chaps.



                                   At left is the cowboy figure with DSG shield with cross carved off. The helmet tip is made from the end of a medieval axe. He has a putty turban. Bullet loops and pistol have been removed and now he has an axe. The former Aussie has a massive turban made from bandage material, Super Glue and putty. He has a round DSG shield. He has a spare plastic spear. Breast plates are made from putty.  The ex cowboy also has Space Marine shoulder armour!



I am not trying to make any historically accurate figures here but elephant riders for my Fezian and Patran nations. They will be painted by Thursday.

Comments

Popular Posts