World War 2 Plastics In 75mm, Childhood Toys Repainted

These are plastic toys I had as a small boy in the 1960s. I was quite fond of them and they did battle alongside the 54mm figures that they dwarfed. 



              
The hand grenade thrower is the only figure with Made in China under the base; the other figures have no name.

                                         The eyes are askew on the officer so I'll repaint them.
  One of the radio men had some gunky paint spilt on his arm; in removing it some of the paint job came off so I'll red the arm.
                           For a scale comparison here is a 1/32 Airfix British paratrooper.
                        Below are some extra poses and an example of how they looked unpainted. Olive green was a common colour. They also came in bright colours, brown and black.

                                 And here is how I painted them when I was about nine, ten or eleven years old. The hand grenade thrower was originally a metallic blue and his gun is still that colour. I had some bright green Humbrol paint which was also used on the HO Airfix US Marines my Dad had given me. The skin tone was very pale and all paint was thickly applied. The one concession to the original paint job is the bases remain bright green.

I was tempted to keep the figures like this, just for nostalgia, but in the end I repainted and just painted over the original paint job. That bright green enamel survived some fifty years so why strip it off?

The grenade thrower looks like a copy of Marx. The others I suspect are Australian made Woolworths figures. Any ideas folks?









 

Comments

  1. My first thought was 'Marx'. I remember buying them from Woolies at about 6d each. Still have a cowboy on my bookshelf, can't face painting him or giving him away to the grandson. There is a website that shows all the Marx figures, so they could be checked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice figures!
    My first set as a kid was the Airfix 1/32 american infantry. Still have them, sort of; gave them to my son when he was younger. They were never painted though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts