Peasants Painted

For my peasants I stuck with a sober colour scheme. I did some research afterwards and was surprised that peasants also wore blue, red and yellow, although with poor dyes they would have faded quickly. The reds were more pale orangey and the yellow possibly leaning to mustard. However many clothes were undyed wool and were the colour of the sheep - of white ,or beige, grey or brown.

    The basic cut was much the same for hundreds of years with hose rather than trousers and a tunic, usually reaching to the thighs. (Some of my figures don't conform to this but I have seem illustrations with shorter tunic; it was also sometimes hitched up into the belt. I went to some trouble to make the shoes pointed (just like in my childhood Harvey comics, the one with the giant and the 'little' medieval people). After doing this I read that pointed shoes were not common among the peasantry but were more a wealthier people style.

The head gear also conforms to my beloved comics and is historically authentic - hoods either attached to or separate from the tunic or jerkin. These were easy to make from putty with a subtle point drawn out. It is funny how fashion repeats given thr contemporary fashion for 'hoodies'. Other options would be brimmed hats or pointed caps. For my more eastern European peasants I might perhaps have had some in fur hats.

 So now I have the converted cowboy, who lost his rope to receive a meat hook, a road worker transported several hundred years back in time and two ACW infantry who have lost their percussion muskets.








I next need to add a little flock, but not too much as the peasants will be slopping around in the mud as they attempt to fill a moat for their lords. Also, the one shot by an arrow will have a liberal coating, in the wound vicinity, of 'blood' from GW. - that will be after protective mat coats with the contrasting gloss of the red. I love that GW product as, with just the right consistency, it really looks like blood.

Comments

  1. Always glad to see peasants on the tables, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts