New Confederacy/Spanish Civil Guard painting Underway

 I thought that I would record the progress of painting a 'regiment' (about 24 figures in game terms). The first photos here appear in reverse order with the first one showing the stage reached.

It would have made sense to do the basing before undercoating but it does not make a huge difference.

 The stage reached is where the basic uniform has been painted and shadows added to creases plus highlights dry brushed (or semi dry brushed as basic paint was still wet). I didn't have a black wash handy so did this with a brush but a bit roughly as I want these painted in a hurry. I also painted the black equipment. The hats have been painted a different grey.

The PVA was added to bases and they were dipped in a sand, tea, coffee, kitty litter mix. I could leave them like this but I'll probably paint the bases.




The flag bearer was painted ahead of the others. You might notice that I painted the numeral '1' on the flag. I'll also paint over the red and paint a couple of the stars that are a bit bluish.
                            You can see here the GW Rus Grey I used and applied with a large brush. This grey could as easily be used for 1860s Confederates as just one of the shades employed.


 Card folders like this can be obtained very cheaply at garage sales and op shops and are of a good thickness. I have two of the guillotines that i also bought at garage sales or flea markets.

  After the clear undercoat car spray I use GW Wraith Bone which gives a nice undercoat. I always do this outside on the driveway and hold my breath. (It pays to be a swimmer but a good face mask would be another option).
So, still to paint are the skin, facial details, bases and rifles. My goal is to do this tomorrow as a game including them is to happen on Monday.

Comments

Popular Posts