A New Unit Of Gillikins Painted

Here is the new unit of Gillikins, the small nosed small headed sub-species. They can also double as goblins, gretchen or aliens.

The concept is very loosely borrowed from the Wars of Ozz wargame system. The various humanoid races of Ozz are clothed largely in Napoleonic style and armed with muskets. 

In converting these smaller scale plastic army men I cut off much of the modern equipment. The main change was the fur hat addition. I didn't bother to make the uniform very Napoleonic with turn backs etc. Nor did I stress too much over the guns looking like historical muskets. These are true fantasy figures so the firearms, whilst intended as black powder weapons can look a little odd.

The flag is the 'national flag' of the Gillikins as I preferred it to the regimental flags which are a little dull and I wasn't trying to emulate the British practice of having two flags in a regiment. I might add a numeral to the flag to make it a combined regimental and national flag. I assume the 'A' represents Arella the witch.

As you can see, purple is the common color for Gillikins, but unlike the Ozz regiments I have given mine yellow trousers instead of white. After all, I am just borrowing ideas from Ozz for my Ozzz.




The figure with the flag is converted from a modern version of the army men but his pistol looks remarkably like an electric hair dryer. This makes it look a little like a retro SF pistol but I am including it as a black powder pistol with brass casing. I could have replaced it with a cut down matchstick sword but I just liked it too much! Also the officer's binoculars are probably anachronistic for Napoleonic period but this is not Earth, with its timeline, as we know it.


     I wanted more figures with long arm firearms. Unfortunately, all I had available were the modern, bare chested machine gunners. I trimmed down the machine gun but it still looks like a strange musket. 'Doesn't matter!' The putty covers the bare chest and makes new fur hats. I noticed that sometimes the Green Stuff does not stick well to the plastic - something to do with the ratio of putty colors. Anyhow, I coated the putty with Super Glue for purchase and strength.

 Although I have plenty of better figures than these I do enjoy taking 'junk figures' and turning them into something completely different. Also these were the only action posed figures I had in this size to represent the little blokes of Ozzz.

The bases will be flocked after the figures receive their protective overcoats.

Comments

Popular Posts