Fantasy Pharoah And Druid Sorcerer

Playing wargames, and especially a fantasy campaign, stimulates me to produce more conversions, including characters. What I enjoy about a fantasy scenario is I can be lose and creative with historical references; this includes armor and uniforms.

One of my requirements, for my next game is a Patran king. As Patra is a union of Romans, Egyptians and Greeks I wanted a mix of the three. I also wanted him mounted on a horse so he can zip around the battlefield to where needed or escape if things go down.

So here he is. I used a metal home casting of a Reamsa Roman with a new DSG sword. He also has a nice plastic head from a Kinder Egg American Indian. I had only the top half of that figure doing nothing in a drawer; now it has been repurposed. 'I want only the head! Bwahaha!'

The finishing touches on the head were the fixing of part of an earring which once belonged to my mother. (I inherited a lot of cheap and often broken items like that). I think I'll leave the actual metal unpainted by masking it when I paint as it looks great the way it is.

Although my Patrans have been long separated from the more advanced world the opening of communications with medieval and Renaissance societies has led to the adoption of the stirrup. So far they have not adopted gunpowder weapons but that may soon change as artillery was recently captured from the Fezians. (How long does it take a non-gunpowder society to learn to use gunpowder weapons? I suspect that ancient Greeks and Romans would not take long. After all Greece produced master scientists and Rome was brilliant at warfare and making concrete better than modern concrete. The Egyptians were great at building gigantic tomb stones and painting profiles.

Anyway, getting back to the Patran king he has shown his preference for Roman armor, steel swords rather than the old bronze ones, and an interpretation of the old twin kingdom helmet. I suspect this was long out of fashion under the Ptolemies, but I have decided that they could well hark back to the very ancient past to incorporate more old Dynastic trimmings.

The figure is a 60mm one so I chose a large horse, this being a Supreme Playset one, really majestic, strong looking which is kind of prancing.

I'll undercoat this figure tomorrow and start painting it. I really love seeing how a conversion turns out. The sword is not glued into the hand, so I am going to remove it prior to undercoating and insert it when painting is finished. It is already silver and unpainted and it will not be a focus, as such extremities tend to be, of paint shedding.










  The figure below is a Cafe Storm Druid who was missing his wand, or whatever he had in his hand. I drilled out the hand, inserted some wire and drilled a hole in the underside of a skull from the Games Workshop Hero Quest set. it is the skull which sat on the bar thingy, alongside a candle holder and rat. So now it is part of his wand. i could paint it all metal or just as a skull, maybe with painted patterns on it.

Mat has bought, with the points available, some more sorcerers so I may need new ones. If I make this one a Fezian sorcerer I'll give him a purple clothing with yellow or white crescents on it. I already have decided on a Patran sorcerer who is represented by an Atlantic court scene figure; you saw him in an earlier post.

 

Comments

Popular Posts