Moorlock Versus Kelly

 I am working my way through my eclectic ElastoWit purchases and not doing it in any rational order.

BELOW: The Eloi seems oblivious to his danger and just munches on one of the luscious fruits from his era.

                                              OR, is he calling for backup on his fruit phone?
           One of the Kellys has been swept up in a time storm and transported to the future. 
       The enraged Moorlock advances on the intruder but his whip is outclassed by a revolver.


     The mortified Moorlock advanced only a half meter before dying of lead poisoning.

I still have a bunch more Moorlocks, Eloi, another Kelly and assorted figures on the work bench.


UNDERCOATS

These last three figures were undercoated first with PVA and then a spray of Games Workshop white undercoat. Where the spray met bare plastic, under the bases, there was no adverse reaction and both undercoats also worked for the basis of the final painting. The biggest issue I had in my last attempts was using the clear auto plastic spray undercoat. This works with other soft plastics but not this type.

 I now also know I could, in theory, probably also paint directly on to the plastic (at least with acrylics) but even if this was reaction free the paint adhesion and retention would be unlikely to be great, so an undercoat is desirable. The other technique of using Valejo undercoat had some varied success, as I mentioned in the previous post but the overcoat was the clincher.

  

OVERCOATS

  The three figures in this post have not been overcoated. Incidentally, the PVA I have creates a gloss finish. Modge Podge (which is a PVA and varnish mix), however can be obtained in a mat finish. In any case, I usually add a further overcoat of artist mat fixative. When this is sprayed over gloss paint or overcoat the end result is a semi-gloss or semi-mat. This can be further dulled down with yet further coats with Valejo (I think) mat clear brush on.

 It is very subjective what finish people prefer. I used to go for the most realistic finish possible. That entailed mat finish for clothes etc, gloss or semi gloss for metal and a slight sheen for skin and leather. Now I lean to a slightly more toy look so I don't mind a semi-gloss or semi mat (satin). Others like a high gloss but I find this can distract from details, okay if there is not much detail anyway but in most cases I want to see the details without too much shine distracting from it.

Comments

Popular Posts