Gorilla Warfare - Planet Of The Apes

 My pal, Tony, lent me two MPC Planet of the apes figures to make molds from. These are hard figures to get hold of and sell for around $20 each. I would have liked some gorilla warriors on foot shooting, but MPC didn't make them. However the other figure is a mounted figure shooting his carbine.

  Below is the original figure repainted and the casting. I am making a few for Tony and intend, eventually, to have a couple of 12 'man' units for myself. I am experimenting with various horses that need to be simultaneously big but skinny as the ape legs are fairly close together. Fortunately, with the castings, I can bend the legs outwards. Some Lido and Italeri horses work. I especially like the Lido medieval horse. It is not canon, but I intend using these for fantasy non POTA scenarios as well as science fiction, which is why I chose to use the sword wielding one. As an additional alternative I could even paint them with green skin as orcs. Unfortunately he lost his sword and scabbard so I made new ones from steel wire flattened and sharpened and a trimmed plastic comb prong for the scabbard.






He is big but he is a bloody great gorilla, hard work for the horse. I think for this reason I'll count them as heavy cavalry and might even give some metal armor. I'll count them all as heavy cavalry but light for armor protection with ones I just give leather armor to.

   The mold cost nearly $100 in the mold material, to make, so eventually I might see if I can sell some castings to pay for it.

   My aim is to have multiple units in different uniforms, mostly with various shades of purple and possibly one unit in red.

    For my fantasy world I don't know if I'll make enough for them to be a force in their own right, but they could be raiders or mercenaries.

 Other scenarios are from the POTA movies themselves. I loved the scene in Battle for Planet of the Apes where the gorilla cavalry charged the 'attack bus', of humans (the ones showing the first signs of mutation). I could always add some rifles and submachineguns strung across backs.

  Now for special rules. Maybe they can be tempted to change sides with bananas. I am joking...maybe.


OTHER sources of POTA figures:

Eureka Miniatures makes 28mm POTA figures with their own unique takes.

ElastoWit will soon be making plastic figures, most likely 1/32. I'll certainly be getting some. They have done some great SF related stuff.


Comments

Popular Posts