Large SF Tank Conversion

 This is one of the frequent op shop or flea market finds, a tank which does not look totally historical. It appears to be 1/24 but I'll use it for 1/32 as an extra heavy tank.  Someone will tell me if it is based on anything real but the cannon looked SF to me, as did the radar. 

  What I have done is add a second gun off an SF robot thingy. (There was, originally another gun, probably a machine gun). it actually fires but only about a meter and a half. I sanded and trimmed off the top of the turret and drilled and cut a hole into the turret top. The hatch cover is made from card with tiny washer or piece of jewelry glued to the outer center. 

   The crewman is a cheapo modern infantry man with headgear which looks suitable for a tankman. I carved off his weapon so he could fit in the tank hatch and glued him at the shoulders with Superglue and baking soda.






   I'll probably say the radar is an anti-drone weapon. I haven't decided if the cannon will be a weapon with shells or a zap gun. Based on original on SF novels and then on Warhammer 40K ork weapons, a zap gun had variable strength but could be either very powerful or overload and blow up. The other weapon could be a souped-up machine gun with armor penetration ability. I assume it could fire without a man holding it.

  The style I am aiming at is Warhammer. That is supposed to be 40,000 years in the future (by which time one would wonder if tanks would still be viable, let alone human beings). Then again, there can have been various rises and falls in society and technology. The Warhammer tanks look like a combination of various 20th century tanks, including WW1 and WW2 as well as more modern designs, but with more powerful weapons.

    So now I have a question for readers. What color schemes should I use? I am fairly much set on a black uniform for the crewman. As for the tank. I could just give it colored washes and grime, or I could undercoat and completely repaint. I really like the old WW1 spackle - is that the right name - but that was experimental and superseded for better cammo schemes. What I like about it is the inclusion of non- neutral colors, even reds, yellows, blues and purples. Another option would be 'natural' cammo but in weird colors for alien planets, such as blue with yellow spots etc. or I could go for a WW2 or contemporary camp scheme. It could also be based closely on animals like tigers, leopards, giraffes and zebras!


Comments

  1. ... or contemporary German WWII camo?! -Once I saw a photo of a "what-if"-model of a 'modernized' Panther tank with (British) Berlin Brigade urban camo-scheme but made in German colors like yellow, brown and green.

    I think the models looks good enough and would only go for washes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts