ElastoWit Planet Of The Apes Bleeding Statue And Dead Pile.

 I am presently painting a pile of ElastoWit figures, including Planet of the Apes, cavemen, Victorian Lost World explorers and The Thing.

  I always loved the POTA series of 60s and 70s movies. I am presently working on POTA gorilla figures with those wonderful streamlined modern firearms and unusual cannons. Some of my metal castings from the MPC figures will be used as an earlier era and will, possibly, be part of my Beastman army. 

   I am inclined to call the figures 'Man-apes' as they are plainly created from men and women in suits and have human proportions. A good story trope would be to say the apes were genetically engineered but this was never stated in the stories. This is  as opposed to 'ape-men' which ElastoWit also makes as part of its 'Lost World' series.

  One of my all-time favorite scenes from the POTA movies was the one, in Beneath the Planet of the Apes, where the ape army has entered the Forbidden Zone. The mutants have conjured visions to scare the army away. These included apes tied to stakes and being burnt to death and, then, a statue of their prophet, with his scrolls as he begins to bleed from the eyes and then topples just as Doctor Zaius tests his faith by riding his horse into the vision. The mutants, who watch this on their screen conclude that the apes' intelligence is too primitive to hold the visions. I thought, at the time, that maybe the reverse was true as they figured it out as a trick.

  The statue is made of a less flexible material than the other figures.



    I have almost finished painting the dead pile. This represents the heap of dead, mute humans collected by the gorillas after their hunt. I'll be adding some discreet spots of blood from the bullet wounds. I opted for a tanned skin color, pretty much in keeping with the POTA film. Light-haired blue-eyed types didn't seem to be a thing anymore, which is why Taylor first made an impression on Zera.

  The pile could also be used in ancient and colonial scenes.













The blood was from Games Workshop watery, gloss paint actually intended to represent blood - 'Blood for the Blood Gods; or something like that. I add it after the figures are given their protective clear coatings.

Comments

Popular Posts