ElastoWit Does It Again - Another Retro SF Space Opera Set- More Flash Gordon!

 Serhiy Marchenko from ElastoWit sent me these photos of his new Flash Gordon set which he describes as part of his Space Opera series.

  There is something about Flash Gordon, as well as Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Trigan Empire, and Buck Rogers that fires my imagination in a way which Star Wars doesn't. I think it is the naive combination of historical attire with a space setting. Also, many of the 'aliens' (mainly human or near-human denizens of other planets) are armed with swords.

  I expect the rationale is that the powers that be horde the advanced weapons or the 'old science' is only partially retained. Swords might also be a good idea when the use of a ray gun might end in everyone's demise, of both sides, such as in the confines of a spaceship. (On the other hand, none of those SF scenes, including Star Wars seem to worry too much about it). The figures not armed with rayguns also can double as sword and sorcery figures.

  BELOW: Left to Right, Ming with sword, Aura, Ming's lovely daughter, lion man, Hawk man, rebel Prince Barin, and Flash with ray rifle. I already have made my own Ming figure and rebel in Robin Hood cap, both conversions from other brands. I also have a Flash Gordon and Dale figure already made in other poses by ElastoWit.






    Ming and princess could both double as ancient or Eastern historical figures. I could also imagine her as a sorceress.


  I always fret a little over the wings on fantasy humanoids; how can undersized wings lift that bloke or creature into the air? The wings on the hawk-man are a good compromise, not ridiculously small but not so big they will take up too much space. Make the wings too big and the figure will be unwieldy. My rationalization is that it is a low gravity planet that requires less lift!

  The lion man is an interesting figure, very human-like but with tail and lionesque facial features. As Serhiy has hinted that he is contemplating an Oz set in the future (as well as a Barsoom set), this figure could also double in that capacity. In fact don't be surprised if he finds his way into my Ozzz armies (alongside Serhiy's Scarecrow figures).


  The blood runs hot when one contemplates Princess Aura (Italian actress, Ornella Muti). My one complaint about the new set is that blasted cloak added to her form. It conceals her amazing deadly assets that will melt any man faster than a ray-gun.


                                                              Did I say 'Blast that cloak?'




That ray-gun resembles a blunderbuss!












There is a wealth of visual references that can be gleaned from the old black and white cinema shorts and films, as well as comics and the 1980 film. There was also the R rated Flesh Gordon (originally X-rated) film which was a very funny, although sexually explicit, 'spoof' on Flash Gordon (including 'rapist robots'). To avoid placing an 'adults only' warning I am not including pics from that one!

Some of the characters and types can also be fairly easily converted from other figures. The Cherilea Vikings, with addition of wings swiped from smaller toy dragons or better, unicorns and birds and other fantasy creatures would work well for Hawkmen. The lion-man could be made from any bare-chested figures in loin cloths or kits with addition of wire tails and putty manes. Barin's men can be made from Robin Hood men and others with addition of putty caps.

PAINTING: ElastoWit figures come in a range of engaging colors. However, if you, like me, like to paint your figures then I find that an undercoat of either PVA or Modge Podge plus a clear thin overcoat of the same works to anchor the paints and to prevent stickiness on the rubbery plastic. I add a drop or two of detergent to aid the even spread of the coating but don't make it too thick.


Comments

  1. Very nice figures and a good review!
    They really gives me a flashback to my childhood when I watched the old b/w Flas Gordon movies at our local theater on Sundays. Therefore I'm actually more fan of the old movies with Buster Krabbe, than the 1980ies movie.

    When speaking of Star Wars; SW is actually also a 'space opera' and also have princesses, evil emperors and knights. The reason for that is that George Lucas actually wanted to make a Flash Goedon movie, but didn't get the rights to do it. -So he made up his own space universe instead. -which was pretty successful. I wonder how the conversation was inside the board-room after they turned him down and saw his results. Since the 'new' Flash Gordon movie came just 3 years after SW A'A new hope', I think they wanted to try to get similar success when they saw the audience were ready for Science-Fictions....
    Well, it didn't turn out to be that great success, but turned into a 'cult move'.

    I hope you do and review a 'Flash Gordon game'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while before I do a game of it as I am taking my time building up units. However, some of my readymade figures include my Robin Hood ones. I must admit I didn't watch the black and white Flash Gordon films when i was a child. My early exposure to Flash Gordon was through a couple of color Flash Gordon comic books.
      As for Star Wars, maybe I should not deprecate it too much. Yes, the influences were from older stories and including mythology. It is a little funny how futuristic stories still have royalty. I think it is the neatness and whiteness of Star Wars spaceships, armor etc that I find too sanitary, kind of reminding me of hospitals, that I find off putting.

      Delete
    2. Star Wars was also influenced by mythology and legends. It is a little amusing how royalty survives into futuristic settings. The sanitary white walls and suits with everything looking so pristine puts me off a bit.
      It will be a while before I do a Flash Gordon-type game as haven't got the units yet although I can adapt my Robin Hodd and other figures.

      Delete
  2. My childhood exposure to Flash Gordon came from a couple of color comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had several Flash Cordon comics in my childhood, as they were very available here. Whats ironic about the old black n' white movies at our old theater the used to show as reruns (almost) every Sunday (sometime it was Tarzan), was that it was the same movies and in the same theater as my father used to watch them when he was a kid.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts